Now that you have started planning to visit Rwenzori Mountains, you may be wondering what specific activities you can do during your visit. There are allot of activities to do in the Rwenzori area. Unlike other destinations, Rwenzori mountain is a unique destination. Here you mainly meet the people to show you their heritage; the wildlife and culture.
You will be able to find activities that last one day, giving you an overview of Rwenzori mountain off the beaten path. Despite the diversity of Rwenzori, you will be impressed to learn that three hours can be enough to do a complete experience that will give you good knowledge of the entire landscape. these are the short one-day activities you can select from;
- Village cultural walk
- One day Forest tours
- Mountain trekking
- The hunting experience
- Evening cultural events
- Hill treks
- Village forest walk
For those who want to stay long or do multiday tours, there is great opportunities too. The area has lodges, campsites and homestays where you will comfortably spend all nights of your choice. The most popular lodge in the area is Ruboni Community Camp. You can also choose to spend multiple nights in the mountains on multiday treks ranging from 2 to 10 days; that lead you to margarita peak. Besides going to margarita, multiple trails have been opened up on the mountains giving trekkers a change to scale the lower peaks of this beautiful mountain. Theas are some of the longer experiences you can participate in;
- Home-stay experience
- 2 days- 3 nights Mahoma trek
- 7 days trekking on the central circuit
- 8 days trekking to margarita peak
- 6 days trek to Wiseman peak
- 6 days trek on Bukurungu trail.
Rwenzori is not a stand alone. It is in the middle of other attractions. A visit to Rwenzori can be well integrated with going to other National parks in the western Uganda. The nearby parks include;
- Kibale National Park, located 118km to the northeast of Rwenzori Mountains. In Kibale, you will do chip tracking, forest walks and other primate walks.
- Queen Elizabeth National Park, located 48km to the south. Queen Elizabeth is the home of Savannah wildlife safaris, looking for the big five on game drives in Kasenyi, the tree climbing lions in Ishasha plains and boat cruises over the Kazinga channel